About the California Policy Lab
The California Policy Lab creates data-driven insights for the public good. Our mission is to partner with California’s state and local governments to generate scientific evidence that solves California’s most urgent problems, including homelessness, poverty, crime, and education inequality. We facilitate close working partnerships between policymakers and researchers at UCLA and UC Berkeley to help evaluate and improve public programs through empirical research and technical assistance. Local and state governments are often at the cutting edge of innovative policymaking. Though they often collect substantial administrative data about their programs and the people they serve, they often lack the resources, data infrastructure, and rigorous research expertise they need to evaluate success and inform future policy decisions. We help fill these gaps by bringing experts from the country’s top public universities and a secure platform for data and policy analysis. Our projects are guided by the problems that our government partners wish to solve. And we believe that relevant empirical analysis needs to move at the speed of policymaking. Generous support from our funders allows us to choose projects based on impact rather than cost.
The California Policy Lab (CPL) is seeking a Data Privacy and Intake Manager to facilitate research interests of the faculty directors, work with research staff in acquiring administrative data from public agencies, develop and implement data privacy and usage policies, and protect and maintain external research and agency relationships for our continued work. This individual will work with agencies to negotiate and execute data sharing agreements and facilitate the timely delivery of data. This person will also be responsible for monitoring compliance with the terms of data sharing agreements, will be proactive in working with agencies to update data, and will provide IRB and research compliance oversight. The position will be located at the California Policy Lab at UCLA but will report to CPL leadership at its UCLA and UC Berkeley campuses and will support researchers and staff at both campuses.
External data intake strategy and process (45%)
- Develops and implements strategic plan to develop data sharing partnerships to support the research goals of CPL and its government partners.
- Oversees data sharing agreements and intake process between CPL and external partners, and ensures the timely delivery of data.
- Researches and understands the local, state and federal regulatory landscape governing access to administrative data for research purposes.
- Works with senior staff to foster relationships with governmental agencies, and assists in maintaining relationships with current and new data sharing partners.
- Works with researchers and CPL partners to specify what is needed to complete requests or secure approvals from data owners (this includes letters of support, statements of work, and external IRB processes).
- Maintains copies of executed agreements and tracks/documents receipt of requested data.
- Tracks data holdings and proactively works with researchers and agencies to update data.
- Serves as an internal resource to all researchers and affiliates to advise on processes and procedures for obtaining access to data assets.
- Stays abreast of new developments in research data “sector” and identifies opportunities to create new data sharing and linking partnerships.
Internal systems and processes for data access, use, and risk management (45%)
- Develops and monitors policies and procedures for ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of data use agreements, MOUs, IRB protocols, or other agreements regarding permissions to use or store data.
- Monitors data sharing agreements and tracks projects to ensure data agreements and data use are in compliance with contract terms.
- Works with IT Manager and Director of Data Analytics to ensure data are being used securely, correctly, consistently, and collaboratively and policies are communicated to staff.
- Works with external researchers or affiliates seeking to use data housed at CPL for their research; develops, implements, and manages mechanisms and protocols for sharing data with cooperating researchers; oversees completion of new data sharing agreements, ensuring compliance with existing data sharing agreements.
IRB training and compliance (10%)
- Develops IRB policies and procedures for new protocols, and conducts trainings for all new staff.
- Serves as internal IRB expert, advises on best practices, and works with UC Berkeley and UCLA IRB coordinators to track compliance for all IRB protocols.
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the social sciences, public policy, business, law or another relevant field.
Advanced degree in the social sciences, public policy, business, law or another relevant field preferred.
Experience working with governmental agencies strongly preferred. Strong preference for experience in negotiating data sharing agreements and/or data privacy issues.
Relevant research experience preferred.
Knowledge of data sharing agreements and/or contract negotiations required.
Basic knowledge of how administrative data is used and acquired preferred.
Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with appropriate public agency personnel required.
Problem-solving skills required.
Strong attention to detail with good organization skills required.
Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects required.
Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
Go to https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1516034469968
Search for requisition #: 27228