About the California Policy Lab
The California Policy Lab creates data-driven insights for the public good. Our mission is to partner with California’s state and local governments to generate scientific evidence that solves California’s most urgent issues, including homelessness, poverty, criminal justice reform, and education inequality. We facilitate close partnerships between policymakers and researchers at the University of California to help evaluate and improve public programs through empirical research and technical assistance. CPL’s UCLA site sits within CCPR and is a dynamic and growing organization with 20 full-time employees, a half dozen graduate student researchers, and numerous faculty affiliates. CPL is extramurally funded by over 20 different federal and foundation grants supporting over 60 major research projects.
CPL recognizes the value of having a diverse staff at all levels of the organization. We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent and understand the rich diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in California. When you join our team, you can expect to be part of an inclusive and equity-focused community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy.
CPL is seeking an Information Technology Manager (“IT Manager”). The IT Manager is a senior role in charge of all computing and technology related issues for a service-oriented and forward thinking technology and research environment. This includes designing and maintaining a secure computing infrastructure, monitoring and optimizing performance of the Lab’s computing environment, supporting users of the data infrastructure, and interacting with and potentially advising government agencies that have data sharing partnerships with CPL. This role is a blend of IT systems design and administration; managing, budgeting and procuring IT resources; and developing and implementing IT security and compliance policies.
The IT Manager is responsible for the architecture, implementation, configuration, optimization and ongoing technical support for research computing services for faculty, staff and students at the CPL. The CPL is a unique and specialized computing environment where a wide variety of highly sensitive administrative data will be stored, cleaned, and possibly linked.
The IT infrastructure and data security policies developed by the CPL IT Manager will provide a model for the UCLA campus and researchers who want to engage in similar work. To accomplish those tasks, The IT Manager will develop, implement, and monitor the use of network and data security policies and practices in accordance with UCLA’s, HIPAA’s, NIST 800-53’s, and other legal requirements.
Design and Manage CPL’s Computing Infrastructure – System Administration (60%)
• Ongoing development, management and maintenance of a VMWare ESXi virtualized server environment, VPN, SAN and NAS storage.
• Setup and maintenance of Windows, FTP, and, to a lesser extent, Linux (Ubuntu) servers; and Windows/Mac desktops and laptops.
• Ongoing development, management and maintenance of an Active Directory infrastructure, Windows Servers and desktops, a Windows/Active Directory based secure computing facility.
• Troubleshooting network, system and application software problems
• Identifying new hardware and software necessary to provide state-of-the-art research computing services
• Configuring, installing and maintaining hardware and software
• Providing system-level support
• Installing and fine tuning tools to facilitate use of services including cross-platform integration
• Regularly evaluating and upgrade secure back-up services
• Assuring security of system and maintaining firewalls
• Enabling secure connectivity from outside local network
• Identifying and resolving hardware and software problems encountered by faculty, staff and students affiliated with CPL
• Maintaining documentation of system
• Applying a forward-thinking, proactive approach to identifying new technology opportunities and solutions according to industry best practices and standards
• Maintaining relationships with IT vendors
• Negotiating contracts and agreements
• Develop and maintain IT policies, procedures, and protocols.
Develop IT & Data Security Standards & Monitor Compliance (40%)
• Develop a strategic plan to ensure the security of data and the strict adherence to all applicable laws, contracts, and internal policies.
• Stay abreast of the shifting regulatory landscape around data confidentiality and cyber-security to ensure that CPL is a state of the art computing environment.
• Develop, implement, and monitor the use of network and data security policies and practices in accordance with UCLA’s, HIPAA’s, NIST 800-53’s, and other legal requirements.
• Experience with project management and budget management.
• Demonstrated advanced experience Systems Administration: design, configuration, installation and support of VMWare ESXi servers (Windows/Linux)
• Demonstrated advanced experience Systems Administration: design, configuration, installation and support of Windows Server Operating Systems (2012R2)
• Extensive knowledge of desktop operating systems: Windows7/8.1/10, Linux and Macintosh OSX and laptop computers.
• Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP networking and Ethernet-based LAN protocols. In- depth knowledge of network security best practices. Network switches, Cisco VPN/AnyConnect.
• Knowledge of common applications (Microsoft Office suite, browsers, file managers, etc.)
• Ability to function effectively as a member of a team, sharing information, resources, responsibilities and workloads in order to meet a variety of deadlines.
• Skilled in communicating effectively both orally and in writing; ability to create comprehensive technical documentation; develop and deliver presentations on technical topics to audiences of varying knowledge and level.
• Skilled in evaluating and comparing off the shelf and open source software solutions in order to make recommendations regarding purchasing or the necessity to produce in-house solutions.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively in the midst of diversified responsibilities, changing priorities, and frequent interruptions.
• Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, and to be responsive in emergencies.
• Ability to install and configure routers, switches, hubs, and other network hardware
• Working knowledge of relational database management systems and web
servers such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, WordPress, and Apache.
• Knowledge of Python and Java and statistical applications (eg R, Stata, SAS).
• Knowledge of cloud computing, video conferencing hardware and software, and
disaster recovery and relief.
• Knowledge of access auditing software (Netwrix)
Salary & Benefits
This is full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is $5,167 – $13,233 monthly.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
All applicants must apply online at UCLA Career Opportunities using requisition number 33549.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Information Technology Manager