About the Lab
The California Policy Lab (CPL) creates data-driven insights for the public good. Our mission is to improve the lives of Californians by generating evidence that transforms public policy. We do this by forming lasting partnerships between government and California’s flagship public universities to harness the power of research and administrative data. We work on California’s most urgent problems, including homelessness, poverty, crime, and education inequality. We facilitate close working partnerships between policymakers and researchers at UC Berkeley and UCLA to help evaluate and improve public programs through rigorous empirical research and technical assistance.
CPL launched in January 2017 and now has over 20 ongoing partnerships with state and local agencies around California. We have several exciting projects in the works, including:
- randomized trials to increase uptake of the EITC and of Cal Grants
- an assessment of San Francisco’s criminal justice diversion programs, including opportunities for policy change
- helping Sonoma County stabilize the population of individuals repeatedly cycling through jails, homeless shelters, and hospital beds
- an in-depth look into California’s gig economy
We’re looking for a Fellow to join our Berkeley team this summer. The Fellow could expect to do some or all of the following, depending on applicant skills and project availability:
- Preparing and analyzing administrative datasets
- Developing deliverables and engaging with partners to communicate and implement research findings
- Helping with organizational development, including strategy and communications
- Organizing trainings or convenings for policymakers
We are seeking candidates with a strong sense of professionalism, solid quantitative and data skills, and a passion for evidence-driven government.
The position is full-time for 10 weeks and would receive a stipend of $8,000.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and relevant writing sample to email@example.com.
The application deadline is Tuesday, March 12th at 5pm PST.